Thursday, December 06, 2007

Romney goes half way

Here are excerpts from Mitt Romney's speech tonight. They include nothing on how he justified belonging to and proselytizing for an officially racist organization. I guess he's saving that explanation for the full speech.

If you think I am being hard on Romney, you're wrong. Any man who follows a religion which believed just thirty years ago that blacks lacked souls and denied them the sacrements should be made to explain if he was at least uncomfortable with this doctrine. If his response was that it took a "revelation" to church elders to correct his view, then you have to wonder whether he'll look to similar revelations when he's in the White House.

There should be, of course, no religious test for the presidency. But we should be willing to expect a candidate to explain his adherence to a racist doctrine, just as he should be made to explain whether he believes the commandements of elders in his church take precedence over the US constitution and its laws.

5 comments:

Wyatt McIntyre said...

I don't think you are being too hard on him. I happened to like the speech, thought it was well put together, well spoken, carried a lot of key points of things that I find myself believing. That being said I don't believe it will make a difference, there are still questions and they will still come up, it's that simple.

KC said...

Peter - I wouldnt think you are being hard on Romney if the religious beliefs of the other candidates werent equally ludicrous. I mean maybe mormon was officially racist but mainstream christianity is to this day overtly homophobic.

Peter Loewen said...

(Recently Officially Racist + Homophobic) - (Homophobic) = (Recently Officially Racist).

Strikes me that Romney still has more explaining to do.

KC said...

Peter - I agree. I just dont think he has any more or less than anyone else. Romney can explain the recent racism of his church when the other candidates explain the ongoing homphobia of their own.

D3 Gold said...


Pleased to locate your blog as well as the excellent photographs which you have on a regular basis!Buy RS Gold Cheap diablo iii cd key